- vglnk.click(URL[, target])
- Redirect to URL, affiliating it if appropriate. Calls to vglnk.click() are counted as "clicks" in your VigLink analytics. target is optional (it defaults to _self) and can be any target supported by the standard window.open().
- Enable click tracking and affiliation for a link. This is done automatically for all external links in the DOM when the library loads, but not for links added later. If you're adding links dynamically and want them to pass through VigLink, pass each one to vglnk.link().
Options are set as properties of a global vglnk object. The recommended installation snippet sets api_url and key for you. Most users will not need to modify those values.
Options are only read during initialization. For that reason they must be set prior to including the library, as in the recommended snippet.
- Your VigLink API key.
- The base URL for REST API calls.
- Sets a cuid for use in click requests.
- Enable the library. false means that the library will return immediately during initialization. No communication with the VigLink REST API server will occur. When disabled, functions like vglnk.click() will continue to work, but in a failsafe mode. (In the case of vglnk.click() it will still redirect but will not affiliate.)
- By default, VigLink will not modify links which are already affiliated. If you'd like to force re-affiliation for all such links, you can make that change in your account settings. To force re-affiliation for a single page, set vglnk.reaffiliate to true.
- When a link's rel attribute includes "norewrite", that link will not be affected in any way by VigLink. Clicks will not be counted, and the link will not be affiliated.
<a href="http://example.com" rel="norewrite">VigLink ignores this link</a>
VigLink provides a basic HTTP API for URL affiliation. Requests are made via an HTTP GET in the form of http://api.viglink.com/api/<method>[?<parameters>].
The REST API is not available without authorization. If you would like to use the REST API, please send us an email. Include your API key (found on the account page) and a brief description of how you will use the API. We'll respond within 48 hours.
In addition to affiliating an unaffiliated URL, the click method records the click event for use in analytics. For this reason, an application should call click every time a user is about to follow an outbound link, even if the application has cached the response from a prior request.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?key=<your API key>&out=<URL>&loc=<URL>[&cuid=<str>][&format=go|jsonp|txt][&jsonp=<str>][&reaf=1][&ref=<URL>][&title=<str>][&txt=<str>]
Important: All parameter values must be properly URL-encoded!
- Your API key.
- The URL of the page which contains the link being affiliated. For example, if a link from http://example.com to http://merchant.com is being affiliated, loc is http://example.com.
If you have legitimate reason not to pass loc please contact us so we can make special arrangements.
- The URL to affiliate. If the URL cannot be affiliated, the original URL is echoed in the response. The response format is governed by the format parameter.
- An ID of your choosing that identifies the clicker. The cuid should not contain personally identifiable information. Use of this parameter permits VigLink to report click traffic back to you on a per-user basis.
- Sets the response format. Possible values are "go", "jsonp" and "txt". For details, see the response description below.
- By default, VigLink will not modify links which are already affiliated. If you'd like to force re-affiliation for all such links, you can make that change in your account settings. To force re-affiliation for a single click request, set reaf to 1.
- Short for "referrer", ref is the URL of the referring document for the current page. Expanding on the example from loc, if the user came from http://othersite.com to get to http://example.com, ref is http://othersite.com.
- The HTML title of the page containing the link to out.
- The text of the HTML link to out.
The response format is governed by the request's format parameter. In all cases the resulting URL is either an affiliated equivalent of the original URL, or the original URL itself if affiliation is not possible.
- A 302 redirect to the result URL.
- A text/plain document with the result URL as the body.
- VigLink uses these parameters to create valuable context in your dashboard analytics and also to detect spam. Including them is highly recommended.